Friday, December 29, 2006

Wow, I got a discussion running !


[Cummuzunist wrote a long comment on my post, and so I like to answer it]

Again, you are totally right with every word you say. But do you want to be the lone fighter against the whole world ? You quote Mr. Styll when he said "It may be illegal, but everyone is doing it." The internet is there, and for every system created there is an anti-system coming up.

One example: there were links deleted on a lot of blogs. What did come up ? Hidden links. If they are cracked sometime, another system will come up, until this is again cracked. It's the same with copy protection on CDs and DVDs.

So how do you want to spent your life ? Do you want to go from blog to blog and perhaps actually motivate 1% of your readers to up- or download less or even nothing ? Does the music industry thank you for this ? What is the best you may succeed ? Killing a blog ? The guy who runs it will start a new one the next day, and if not, 10 other guys start new blogs every day. Concerning the internet, for the music or film industry it's like in "Starship Troopers" when the Fort is attacked by the insects.

But there are some aspects which haven't come up ever: if there is money which is not spent on the records of MP3 people download, where does this money go ? For me there are three possibilities:
1) people spent it on other records, so concerning the music industry no harm is done
2) people spent it on other goods, so concerning the industry (not only music, just in general) no harm is done (for example, I'm buying now DVDs mostly)
3) people save it and do 1) or 2) later (even if they save it till retirement) so again no harm is done

The only harm I see by music blogs is that some new composers who are not that famous will not get their royalty fees. I don't care if Madonna now only earns one million each week instead of two (actually, her links got deleted often, so she actually seems to care). But concerning film music blogs, the established composers get huge sums of money when they compose their music for the movies, so the money they loose through MP3 blogging is laughable. That might be the reason that no-one cares about soundtracks on blogs. The big companies do not care much releasing them, and they do not care if they pop up on blogs. And if you care so much for the unknown artists: in the film music scene, the composers do very often their own promo CDs because their music does not get leased. If you want this music, you can write to the composer's agent and VERY OFTEN they give you an unreleased promo CD FOR FREE !!! There are also several unknown composers who offer their scores on the Internet for download.

There is a saying in Germany: where there is no defendant, there is no judge. And in the film music scoene, there is not even a courthouse.

>The day is ending when some damned bloggers post massive lists of future shares to drive soundtrack leechers mad (Bacharach, Tiomkin, Hisaichi, Zimmer, Rosza, etc.), then upload dozens of albums a day giving away more music than anyone could ever listen to.

I'm not sure whether I understand this right. If you mean me by this, please look at my postings again. There is no link whatsoever, and there is no announcement of any music coming up. I never intended to do so, why should I (I don't earn any money with non-existent advertisements, I think that's hardly possible with the 250 clicks I get each day) ? All I did was list my favorite composers with one of their works. This even could motivate a reader to BUY such an album.

It's funny that my tiny blog now gets so much attention. In the three months I'm running the blog I personally uploaded perhaps 10 albums, all other links I presented were token from other blogs where I found them. I know large sites (look at some older postings) where there are thousands of links, there you can find all poular rock music and all current movies, so what's the big deal with my fan blog ?

Concerning my links for records by Lalo Schifrin, well, this guy is 74 now and has more millions on his bank account than I will ever have thousands. I buy his records since 30 years and attented his concerts, so I think he will continue living even if I post some links of his music here. Hell, on most of the continent no-one even KNOWS this guy. That is the thing I want to change, so concerning fame he actually profits from my blog. I'm in contact to the guy who runs the biggest Schifrin discography on the net, he saw my blog and actually downloaded some rare stuff (I'm sure he will enjoy things like the unreleased "Manitou" main title). He knows Schifrin personally, so if I'm doing such a crime here I'm sure by now I would have heard something by someone.

O.k., every type of downloading is illegal. But we could go to the extremes: copying music for a friend is illegal. Let a friend borrow a CD or even let him listening to one may hurt the artist. Listening to a CD in a shop may distract me from buying it. Taping a song from MTV is illegal, because I will not buy it afterwards. So ban all CD burners, all tape recorders, all radios (if I hear the new song by Madonna every day, why should I buy it ?). Where should we draw the line here ? Is it o.k. to burn a CD because there is this tiny percentage of the buying price that goes to the record industry ? (it's like that in Germany) The sums are so tiny (remember the price of a CDR), it's laughable.

The only decent thing may be to go to a concert of an artist and pay him personally for both the concert and a CD he will give you. Everything else is either stealing (see last paragraph) or money-making by an money-consuming industry. Should I feel bad because I spread music by an boy group that has been constructed by the industry to the tiniest detail just to cash in money ? I don't do that because I don't like to spread uninteresting music, but if I would make some teen girls happy in doing so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

We all have to think about what we do and should keep things in perspective. It's nice that you made an analogue to Hitler et all and the honest men who stopped him, but in my humble oppinion offering some records to the public is not really the same as slaughtering six million jews. On the other hand, some music nowadays is so terrible that it may have the same effect if people hear it, so I'm perhaps I'm a music Hitler by spreading such music on a blog ! But with Lalo Schifrin music of course, I'm on the sure side that will never happen.

>You have a wake-up call due you. Let's see whether Mitch Bainwol can help you with that.

Who is Mitch Bainwol ? I read his comment some days ago, but never heard of him so far. Or is that you ?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mitch Bainwol is the Chief Executive Officer of the RIAA!

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Commuzunist: This Blog is mainly for unreleased scores that you canĀ“t buy!

btw. you (commuzunist) are like Trance Kuja from GH (lol)

12:44 PM  
Blogger ADA said...

downloading isnt illegal

3:20 PM  
Blogger Isbum said...

The WORLD needs to know that WE LOVE LALO SCHIFRIN!!!
and Lalo loves his fans too:)

I suppose you were talking about Douglas Payne.
Next time you chat with him, mention that we are tired of waiting for
"The Enforcer"
It's probably Clint's fault, but enough already..put a picture of San Francisco on the front with the title and release it!

kiddin;)

kind of :(

11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Downloading COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL is Illegal,, you can tell yourself otherwise but none-the-less it is stealing and if someone came into your home or car and stole something from you --- what would you do? Fucking kill them!

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so you wanna kill us all anonymous?
weird!

2:38 PM  
Blogger ADA said...

it depends on every countrys laws i guess. only sharing is illegal in here...

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home