Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A hooray for YOU DON'T HAVE TO VISIT

As usual the master of this fantastic blog (http://youdonthavetovisit.blogspot.com/) has been busy the last weekend and provided us with no less than 14 new links ! This blog specializes on film music that has never been available before on CD and by now you can find hundreds of wonderful records on this pages. Despite its title I highly recommend everyone to visit it and download everything you can, you won't find such a great resource somewhere else on the net. Also, the publisher's comments to each record show that he is a very nice person who enjoys sharing his huge collection with all us film music fans. I enjoy every visit there and hope that the blogmaster will continue his work for a long time.

Of the things which are new there I can especially recommend Johnny Mandel's The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming (http://rapidshare.com/files/5929306/TRAComing_TRAComing-JM.rar) and Henry Mancini's Who Is Killing The Great Chefs Of Europe? (http://rapidshare.com/files/5933054/Who_s_KTGChefsOE-HM.rar). I especially like the two choral tracks in the Mandel score, they are a masterful combination of American and Russian traditional music.

I heard the LP completely this morning and it hardly runs 23 minutes. Compare this to the 230 minutes of the 3-CD-edition to the first "Lord of the Rings", both are just 1 movie ! Seeing the mass of music that is available on the net (and for classical fans the mass of masses), a running time like the 50/60ies LPs had did make them much easier to listen. For most scores the "Main Title" is enough anyway. Except everything by Schifrin, of course. From him we need every burp he ever did in his life. Morricone fans are twice blessed and cursed, because from the maestro they already have this. But still these Italian record companies come up every year with alternative burps from his scores. Actually, the new expanded "Duck You Sucker" 2 CDs has lots of burps in "March of the Beggars". Shows that Morricone can make great music even out of burps, which brings us to Goldsmith and his great music for "The 'burbs", which however, had no burps. And let's not forget Alf Clausen's scores for Barney Gumble's burps. And now for something completely different.

3 Comments:

Blogger nomwl1 said...

Hi Jordan!

I can't believe what nice things you said!! Thank you so much for your glowing recommendation!

I don't think I need to tell you how much I enjoy your blog. You probably post more in 2 days than I do in 2 weeks!

Keep up the great work! Reading this blog reminds me of how great it is to be part of that brotherhood of soundtrack nuts (I mean, collectors). :))

2:06 PM  
Blogger Omega said...

Hi nomwl1 (I like to hear your mother calling you),

many thanks for your kind words.

"Taras Bulba" this week was great !

Let us both keep on our work.

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Vanya said...

I know this was ages ago, but I was wondering if someone still has the Russians are coming Soundtrack... if so, perhaps they could upload it somewhere where I can download it? Thank you... I cannot seem to find it anywhere.

itharmil@gmail.com thanks.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home