Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Which is your favorite composer ?

"You don't have to visit" (http://youdonthavetovisit.blogspot.com/) started a new thread (see title) and I got carried away writing my oppinion. Here it is again for your enjoyment:

Well, I love 'em all. Each composer wrote at least one great track, and by now I think I have over 1.000 all-time-top-great-fantastic-marvellous favorite tracks.

Counting my whole collection (CDs, LPs, MP3) I have at least 15.000 complete records (including some classical and pop music), so I've listened quite a lot in my life.

However, I don't know ANY great track by James Newton Howard. It's not that I dislike him, it's just that I haven't heard a superior composition by him. Perhaps I have to hear "Falling Down" again.

Also, from Shore I only like the Main Title of "Ed Wood".

Michael Kamen: just the first track of "Robin Hood".

Also no favorites by John Debney or Don Davis.

Very few from the Zimmer factory. First "Backdraft" track (and even there Zimmer gets lost after 2 and a half minutes) and the "Shiver My Timber" song. A good theme in "The Rock" and "Gladiator".

To me all these guys just write underscore music but not really distinctive compositions. For me a great track must have a structured beginning, a middle part and an end. Probably today's cinema is not suited anymore for fine compositions. Most of it today, even the orchestra scores, sounds like Christopher Franke's or Mark Snow's TV synthesizer drones.

Favorite composers are Schifrin and Kilar, and of course Goldsmith (dozens of incredible themes !), Williams and Morricone.

Best Williams composition in the last years: "Duel of the Fates" and the Main Title from "Terminal".

Best film score ever (valued by number of extraordinary themes): Ben-Hur.

2 Comments:

Blogger nomwl1 said...

Hi Jordan!

You can get carried away as much as you want as far as I'm concerned! It's always great to hear your thoughts and opinions about these things! :)))

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing fancy with me; Jerry Goldsmith, Christopher Young and John Williams

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home