Saturday, October 20, 2007

Turntable Time Vol. 1


After a long time living with some thousand records (you know, these round big black things) and no possibility to play them (my old record player was due to place problems not connected to the receiver) I finally have a turntable again !

A computer shop round the corner had this great cheap thingy (about 60 bucks) that has a USB connection for the PC.

With it came the Audacity software (which you can also download from the net), and it is now very easy to record a record (how about recording a lot of them and breaking a record ? But be careful not to break a record in the process) and save them as mp3.

So now all this great music that was unavailable to me (because no-one else loaded this up) can now be listened again, and perhaps not only by me but by you, too (if I will have the strength and will and power to upload them).

I started mp3ing (nice word) one of the first LPs of my life, Mike Batt's "Wombling Songs", recorded August 1973. I assume that was Batt's first LP, and it's very nice happy-go-lucky music featuring some fine orchestrations. Unbelievable that such great music was the POP music of the time. We went a lot down the hill in the last 30 years...
Here is some info on the Wombles:
http://www.toonhound.com/wombles.htm

Some words on my mp3-transfers: I just record them while I'm listening to them, so there will be only two tracks for each LP (one for each side, my first transfers even have just 1 track). Also, I don't have the time to filter the records, so some surface noice will be there. But considering the age of the records and the cheap quality of the turntable to my almost deaf ears they actually sound quite good. If one of you would like to separate the tracks and do some noice reduction, be my guest !

Just had the idea of calculating how many albums I got new each day since this beginning of my collection... if I count in each different mp3, LP and CD I have today, this will be 2 albums each day for the last 34 years. Madness reigns supreme, as Dave Letterman once said. Before I started with mp3, this was about 1, but all these great music blogs (many thanks to you all) expanded my collection considerably.

Concerning the Wombles, there are at least 5 other albums written by Mike Batt for this "band":
Remember You're a Womble (1974) (don't have this one)
Keep on Womling (1974)
Superwombling (1975)
Wombling Free (1978)
(Soundtrack for a Wombles movie !)
The Wombles Christmas Album (1983)


The soundtrack even includes some orchestral score by Batt !

So, as first post in a hopefully long series of mp3s from my record collection, here is Mike Batt's "Wombling Songs":

http://rapidshare.com/files/63851673/Batt_Wombling_Songs.mp3

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link doesn't work...

4:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Link doesn't work...
Please, send me OK Links to
bob_dylan@inbox.ru

4:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been looking for the Wombling Free soundtrack (1978) for a LONG time. I couldn't work it out from your post, but did you say you had this on LP? and if so, any possibility of uploading it to MP3? I'm recently on a campaign to rediscover all that now rare music from my childhood...

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Tiv said...

Link doesn't work. I'm desperate for a mp3 of the tv version of The Wombling Song from this album (don't ask!). Any channce you could send it to me? paul.tivy@ntlworld.com

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, exactly the Wombles albums i am searching for! Did you ever upload them or do you still plan to do...ok, i think your post is pretty old, but maybe there's a chance..

10:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Superwombling (1975)
Wombling Free (1978) (Soundtrack for a Wombles movie !)
The Wombles Christmas Album (1983)
Would You Please Post This Three Albums!
It's A Funny Band.
My Blog
http://www.yybyy.com/space-uid-26120.html
Please E-mail Me If You post!

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home